I love trail mix and rice crackers, and in general all sorts of salty snack cracker/crunchy things. This, in turn, gives me the perfect opportunity to introduce chickpeas to the blog.
While watching tv on Tuesday, Colin stumbled upon a recipe for some delicious baked chickpeas on the show Five Ingredients or Less. We made these later that day and they turned out great! (But they’re also pretty spicy.) They make a great substitute for more high-calorie crunchy snacks.
2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
A tablespoon each of cumin, ground red cayenne pepper, and paprika
A tablespoon of olive oil
(That’s it! Can you believe it??)
1. Open and drain both cans of chickpeas.
2. Remove any extra skins on the chickpeas and dry them with a paper towel. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a bowl, combine cumin, cayenne pepper and paprika.
4. Add the olive oil to the bowl and mix.
5. Add chickpeas to same bowl.
6. Coat chickpeas in mixture.
7. Place chickpeas on baking sheet/pizza tray/something you can stick in the oven.
8. Make sure chickpeas are spread evenly and put in oven for 10 minutes. These smell so good when they’re cooking!
9. Toss chickpeas in bowl and stick back in oven until you have achieved desired level of crispness.
10. You’re done! Enjoy this delicious snack at home, on the go, or while hiking in the outdoors.
Post by: Melissa Rook
Photos by: Colin Diltz