I had pizza three days in a row over the last weekend. And let me tell you, it was totally worth it. I’ve never endeavored into making pizza from scratch before, so I’m glad Colin was so enthusiastic about trying something new!
2.5 cups of flour
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1.2 Tablespoon salt
1 Teaspoon yeast
.875 cup water
1.5 Cups pizza sauce
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped onions
2/3 pound grated mozzarella cheese (or less…)
Pepperoni (or your preference of meat)
Spices for sauce: red pepper flakes, pepper, dried cilantro, ground cayenne pepper
Your choice of toppings (we used garlic, pepperoni, mozzarella, mushrooms, you can add peppers, etc.)
1. Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast together in a large bowl.
2. Add the water and oil and stir until dough forms a ball.
3. Wet your hand with water and work the dough into a smooth ball (IF DOUGH BECOMES STICKY, FLOUR HANDS AND BALL INSTEAD)
4. Let dough sit for about 15 minutes.
5. Place dough on floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. Dough should be soft and no longer sticky.
6. Section off dough into 5 balls, roughly the same size.
7. Coat the dough balls in olive oil and place in tray. Let sit at room temp. for 30 minutes.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 3 hours. Remove dough 90 minutes prior to when you want to cook.
9. Roll out dough with rolling pin to desired size/shape.
10. Sautee your veggies and prepare your cheese, etc.
11. Combine spices in sauce and mix.
12. Place dough on grill on medium heat till it is cooked on one side. Turn the heat down low before flipping.
13. Flip dough and cover in sauce, veggies, cheese, and other toppings.
14. Enjoy your pizzas! Repeat steps for additional grilled pizzas.
Post by: Melissa Rook
Photos by: Melissa Rook and Colin Diltz