Long time no see. Recently I purchased the Food Network cupcake app and I thought I would share my experience with one of the recipes. (All credit to Food Network!)
I decided to make the Hummingbird cupcakes because I already had many of the ingredients, including pineapple and bananas. So let’s get into it! One note: I made a half batch of frosting because I don’t like to over-frost, and I left about 4 cupcakes unfrosted for those who like it a little less sweet. Also, as a note, I used a KitchenAid Mixer for mixing (courtesy of my mother.)
Ingredients for cupcake:
2.5 cups chopped ripe bananas
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
2.75 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large, room-temperature eggs
1.75 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
Ingredients for frosting: (this is the half batch I made, double for a “full batch” or lots of frosting)
1, 8-oz package of cream cheese (room temperature)
.75 stick (3 oz) of unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used the full teaspoon though I was making a half batch)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line your cupcake tins.
3. Chop bananas, pecans, and pineapple, and combine in bowl.
4. Add 1/2 cup flour to bowl with fruit and nuts.
5. In another bowl, combine the remaining 2.25 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
6. In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until it thickens (about 5 minutes).
7. While beating, gradually add the oil and scatter the dry ingredients from above over the top.
8. Next, fold in the banana/nut mixture.
9. Fill muffin cups.
10. Bake! I baked for 25 minutes, though you may need to adjust your time depending on your oven.
11. Enjoy! Wait for these to cool before frosting.
Recipe for frosting:
1. Add cream cheese and butter (both softened) to large bowl and combine with mixer until smooth.
2. Gradually beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
3. Add confectioner’s sugar to mixture and beat until smooth (again).
4. Refrigerate mix about 20 minutes, or until set.
5. To finish cupcakes, ice as desired.
6. At last! Enjoy!
photos by: Melissa
post by: Melissa