Recently I made some chocolate chip cookies, inspired by this youtube video.
I didn’t follow the recipe exactly and I wasn’t able to make them as perfect-looking as he could, but I’m not a professionally trained chef and I will attest to the fact that they were the best-tasting chocolate chip cookies that I’ve ever made from scratch. If you’re interested in the recipe, keep reading!
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup butter (8 oz=1 cup=2 sticks of butter) ROOM TEMPERATURE
2&1/4 cup flour
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons of water
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or any amount you wish to use in the cookies)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugars (brown and regular granulated) together in a bowl (use a mixer if you can, otherwise this takes so much arm strength. I finally used a hand mixer after my arm started to hurt from using a fork, which works but is the wrong approach.)
2. Add your flour and mix until lightly incorporated.
3. Add your egg yolk and mix.
4. Add your vanilla and salt, and mix to incorporate.
5. Add your baking soda, stirred into/dissolved in the water.
6. Refrigerate dough if desired, around 30 minutes to make it easier to work with. If not, go ahead and roll out dough balls. I’m using my Silpat again here (as seen in use here) but you can use wax paper, pam, etc. to keep them from sticking.
7. Flatten dough balls with the palm of your hand.
8. Add your chocolate chips.
9. Now, I don’t know why, but these spread like CRAZY and didn’t look perfect. You’ll just have to see what works best for you… Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes, I baked them for 10/batch and let cool on sheet for two minutes before placing on a baking rack to fully solidify.
10. Let cool completely.
11. Enjoy your cookies!
Post by: Melissa
Photos by: Melissa